3.19.2008

Long time, no see

It's been forever since I last had the time (or energy or sound mind) to write. Between the flu, a stomach bug, Brody's 1st birthday (and birthday party), a somewhat spotaneous trip to L.A. and, of course, all of the minutiae that seems to suck up the majority of my life, it's been kind of busy around here. That said, here are a few things I've had rolling around in my mind and am just now getting a chance to write about:

-A couple of weeks ago, Will asked when he could grow a beard. I have no idea what prompted such an inquiry, but he was quite adamant that he be able to grow a beard very soon. Needless to say, he was none too pleased to hear that it be quite a while before he would even have the ability to sport facial hair.

-On the same note, Will would also like to be bald. We were in Los Angeles visiting my uncles last week and my Uncle Keith is now bald. It's not really by choice as he is undergoing chemotherapy for brain cancer (another post for another time), but nonetheless, he is bald. This intrigues Will (as does the whole idea of cancer...not something that's very easy to explain to a young child, regardless of how precocious and wise they might be) who wonders if he can take a medicine to make his hair fall out.

-Brody's first birthday and his accompanying party was a smashing success. It's hard to believe my little guy is now one-year old, but we had the party and the cake to prove it. Brody was completely unphased by the whole thing and when, after realizing that the camcorder wasn't turned on the first time, we had to sing "Happy Birthday" again, he acted as though this was an everyday occurrence in our house. And when it was time to eat cake? Yeah, he was far more interested in smooshing it around in his hands and trying to get other people to eat the resulting mess (no one took him up on that offer). Once the fun and games of that wore off, he moved on to trying to eat the plate. It's safe to say that he didn't take more than a single bite of the cake.






-Taking two kids on an airplane is a daunting task, but our kids did surprisingly well. Will was perfectly content to sit and watch movies on his DVD player, while Brody spent most of both flights being passed back and forth between myself and Jason. Surprisingly, neither flight we took was even half-full and we were able to stretch out a bit as a result. That said, it's not all that easy trying to contain a squirmy baby for 2 1/2 hours. Luckily, he did fall asleep on both flights.

-While we're on the subject on our airplane adventures, can I just say how much Delta rocks? The snacks on our flights were amazing--SunChips, Quaker granola bars, cheese and crackers, Biscoff biscuits--nothing like the pack of 6 peanuts most airlines toss at you. Oh, there were peanuts to be had, but they were of the gourmet sort and there was actually a full serving to be had. Thanks Delta!

-Speaking of birthday parties, we are in the midst of planning Will's 4th. We've already switched the location once, but the theme has been settled--Backyardigans. For a while it looked like we might have a bit of a struggle since Will is really into superheroes right now (and I'm not), but Pablo and his multi-talented buddies won out in the end. Stay tuned for more details on the birthday party with the ever-growing invite list.

-In honor of Brody's first birthday he received his first haircut. My grandma had this superstition about not cutting a child's hair before their first birthday (something about them never talking), so we waited until after the big day. The plan was to get it done down in L.A., but our time there was so short that we waited until we got home. Can I just say what an awesome job he did? Will's first haircut left us both traumatized (as did the next 10 or 12), but Brody sat there still as a statue and let the barber do her thing. Luckily a friend of ours was getting his hair cut at the same time and took some pictures for us.


-Jason is in Reno with his friends right now for their annual March Madness trip. Um yeah. I love my husband dearly, but really, so glad I'm not on that trip. Did I mention that they drove to Reno? Again, glad to be home.

-And last, but certainly not least, during the last few weeks we've been able to spend quite a bit of time with my side of family, all of whom live in California. My parents and brother came up for Brody's birthday party and the day after that, we flew down to L.A. to see my uncles. The first night we were there, we were lucky enough to stay with my cousins (who, in Will's book, as the coolest kids ever since they have Hulk hands). And despite the fact that they were just here two weeks ago, my parents are driving up again tomorrow to spend the weekend with us. Will's thrilled to see them, but mostly I think he's excited to go see Porton Hears a Who with them (yes, I know it's Horton Hears a Who, but Will insists on calling him Porton...take it up with him).
So I think we're mostly caught up now. At some point I plan on posting a picture of the "not a Valentine's Day present" that my dear, sweet husband bought me. But since it's upstairs and I'm downstairs, that will have to wait for another time.

No comments: