1.29.2008

Proud moments

We've had quite a bit of snow here the last few days, something that, while not entirely uncommon in these parts, certainly isn't the norm. And since we live way up in the hills, when it snows, we're pretty much stuck at home. It's not necessarily a bad thing, especially when it means that we get to go sledding and build snowmen. However, after a few days we all start to go a bit stir crazy and the walls of our house feel as though they're closing in on us. So today when it appeared that the snow was finally melting enough to make it possible to drive down into town, I took the boys out to run a few errands.

Our first stop was the post office where we dropped off some bills and sent a few packages that I needed to get out to different people. What was in those packages you ask? Oh, just some Christmas presents...on January 29. I feel terrible that it took me so long to get them out to people, but since they were just going to my parents and uncles (all of whom I had expected to see by now and be able to give them in person), I don't feel quite as bad. While waiting in line, though, Will felt the need to make and voice an observation that only a 3-year old (and a cute one at that) could get away with. The woman in front of us was rather nice and very friendly, making a point to talk to both of my boys. As we all stood there, though, Will decided to shout out, "Mommy, look at that lady's hands!" She had what had to be artificial nails with French manicure (something mommies might like to have, but who are we kidding? who has the time?)Now the woman was rather busy trying to tape up one of her packages and didn't hear what he said, but I was rather embarrassed. What the heck do I say to something like that? It's like the time in Trader Joe's when he saw a woman with a cast on her foot and asked why she wasn't wearing shoes, didn't she know you were supposed to wear shoes in the store? He was absolutely incensed that this woman was not following the rules. Have I mentioned his penchant for making sure that people follow the rules? He's a bit like his mother in that way. Except, of course, when it comes to a game of Candyland or Hi Ho Cherry-O and he's losing. Then the rules all fly out the window.

So after the post office, we trekked over to Target to pick up a few essentials, including a couple of superheroes that Will needed for his collection (and paid for with his Target gift card). As soon as we got there, I made a beeline for the bathroom. After drinking two huge bottles of water while working out earlier, I was paying the price by having to pee incessantly. Oh well, all in the name of good health, right? Anyway, we hadn't gotten a cart yet, so I was forced to hold Brody while trying to take care of business. Can I just tell you how difficult it is to get your jeans up and down with a baby in one hand? Seriously, though, how awesome at multi-tasking are we women? So as I'm finishing up and trying desperately to get my pants back up before Will manages to open the stall door, he yells out (in a crowded bathroom, no less), "Mommy, I see your vagina!" How proud was I?

No comments: